- 2½ C self-rising flour
- ½ C vegetable shortening
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- ½ C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 C strawberries, cleaned and topped
- 1 C blueberries, whole
- 1 C cranberries, halved
- 1 T lemon juice
- ¼ C sugar
- Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°.
- In mixer bowl, combine the flour, sugar and shortening until crumbly. Add the vanilla to the heavy cream and slowly pour into the dry flour mixture while working, stirring just until all is combined and moistened.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface, carefully rolling out to about one inch thickness. Flour the cutter and cut out cakes, placing on the cookie sheet until all scraps are formed into about six cakes.
- Bake the shortcakes for 12 minutes, or until golden brown on top, moist but firm in the middle of each cake.
- While cakes are baking, combine the strawberries, blueberries and the halved cranberries in the mixing bowl, chopping together until small pieces are blended.
- Add the lemon juice and the ¼C sugar to the berry mix, folding until incorporated. This fruit mixture can be prepared ahead and chilled.
- To serve, carefully slice one shortcake horizontally, placing the bottom half on a plate. Top with ½C of the fruit mix, placing the top half of the shortcake on top. Ladle another ½ – 1C of the fruit mix over top again, allowing to fall down the sides. Cover with optional whipped cream for a great dessert.