- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 3 mangoes
- 3 to 4 slices soft white sandwich bread
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cup half & half
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- The night before, spray six 12-ounce pyrex prep bowls or one 8-inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium-low heat, cook until mixture is smooth, stirring until the sugar melts. If the sugar and butter don’t want to come together carefully add about 1 tablespoon of water and stir. Pour the butter mixture into the prepared bowls in equal quantities or pour all of it in the glass dish.
- Cut each mango in half lengthwise around the seed. Using a spoon, scoop out the fruit in a whole piece from each half. Slice lengthwise into 6 to 8 slices. Arrange the fruit in the syrup, pressing down so it will show through when the dish is inverted.
- Cut the crust off the bread and discard. Dice the white interiors into 1-inch pieces; you need 3/4 cup diced bread. Place the bread on top of mango, dividing evenly among the six bowls, or spread it evenly over the fruit in the baking dish.
- Mix together the eggs, half & half, liqueur, vanilla and salt until well blended. Pour an equal amount into each bowl or pour it all over the bread in the baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the puddings in the oven and turn the oven down to 350 degrees and cook 35 minutes until they have risen and the edges are lightly browned. You will see the syrup bubbling up the sides. Turn off the oven and leave the bread puddings in the oven with the door closed for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Working with one at a time, place a serving plate upside down over the top of each small bowl and very carefully, using oven mitts, turn the bowl and plate over together so that the pudding drops out of the bowl onto the plate. Serve right away.
Makes 6 servings.Print Recipe