Makes 2-3 dozen scones:
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 21⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 11⁄2 sticks of butter, sliced or cubed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter cubes/slices into the dry ingredients. If you have a stand mixer to combine them, use your paddle attachment on a slow speed. If not, use a strong wooden spoon.
- Add heavy whipping cream and milk to the bowl and mix thoroughly. If your mixture seems “sticky”, add small amounts of flour, and if your mixture seems dry, add small amounts of milk until you reach a firm consistency.
- Liberally sprinkle flour across a large, flat working surface. Knead the resulting dough with your hands, then set on your floured surface.
- Roll the dough flat, until it is about 1⁄2 an inch thick.
- Using a circular cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out your scones. Combine and re-roll dough as you cut them out to use as much as possible.
- Place on a sheet pan and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
Best served with whipped cream and your favorite preserves!