- 2C black beans, cooked and drained, 1⁄2C mashed
- 2C red beans, cooked and drained, 1⁄2C mashed
- 2T vegetable oil
- 1⁄2C yellow onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2C green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1C Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1-15oz. can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2C preferred steak sauce
- 1 tsp each: dried thyme, black pepper, oregano, basil, salt
- Slices of American cheese
- Grilled 4” buns
- Dill pickle spears (optional)
- Over medium-high heat, sauté the onions and bell peppers in the vegetable oil, cooking 3 minutes until tender. Add the diced Roma tomatoes, whole black beans and red beans, stirring to incorporate.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the seasonings, mashed beans, tomato sauce and steak sauce. Stir all ingredients together and simmer on low for 12 minutes, bringing mixture up to heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- On a serving plate, place the grilled bun bottom and place a slice of cheese atop each bottom.
- Scoop a 1⁄2C serving of the Garden Joe mixture onto each bottom, melting the cheese and top with each bun crown. Garnish with pickle spears beside the sandwich.