- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, unsalted
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in an 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Remove pan from heat and stir in both the granulated and brown sugar, then add the vanilla. Cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Pan and contents will still be warm but not hot. This cooling helps to not scramble the egg!
- Add the egg to the pan and use a fork to incorporate it into the butter and sugar mixture. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and carefully stir. I like to use a heat proof spatula to fold in the dry ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if using. Place on the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Mixture will still be soft in the center but start to look golden brown and set.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.