White Chili with Chicken
- 1⁄2 Tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup salsa verde (green salsa made with tomatillos & jalapeno peppers; use mild, medium or hot depending on your taste preference)
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups cooked, shredded or chopped chicken (great use for leftover chicken or use rotisserie chicken from the deli for a shortcut)
- 3 (15 oz.) cans great northern white beans, do not drain
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock (be sure you use one that is GF)
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Additional salsa, sour cream, sliced jalapeno peppers, etc. for garnish if desired
- In a large soup pot, warm oil over medium heat and add onion, cooking until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir 1 minute, then add salsa, spices and stir.
- Add chicken, beans and chicken stock; stir and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After cooking time, turn off heat and stir in1 cup of the cheese. If the chili is too thick, you can add more stock or water to thin as you like.
- Spoon into bowls, top with additional cheese and other extras as you like.