Smokey Black Bean Bowl
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 1 bag sweet potato ribbons (or approx. 1 sweet potato peeled/chopped into .5 in cubes)
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or mashed
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Avocado chunks or guacamole and cilantro leaves, for serving
- 4-6 Lime wedges and Mexican cheese, for serving (if desired)
- In larger (12in+) skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion. Sauté until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper, sweet potato, tomato paste, garlic, and cumin and paprika. Cook, stirring, 6-8 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft. If there’s not enough liquid, add a bit of broth.
- Stir in black beans and corn, mix well and cook until corn is heated through. Add 1/4 cup broth, stirring well and scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture among 4 bowls. Serve with avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, and Mexican cheese (if desired).