Garden Vegetable Risotto
- 4C water or vegetable stock
- 4T butter, divided
- 1C green onions, whites only, diced
- 1⁄2C diced carrots
- 1⁄2C diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2C diced squash
- 1⁄2C diced poblano peppers
- 2C Arborio rice
- 1⁄2C dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄2C grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2C green onions, green only, for garnish
- In sauce pot over medium high heat, bring water to a low boil and add the carrots. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for two minutes, covered, until tender.
- Using the slotted spoon, remove the carrots from the pot and set aside. Lid the remaining water to keep warm and pull from the heat.
- In the skillet over medium high heat, melt 2T butter. Add the cup of green onion whites and sauté until tender, but not caramelized. Add the squash, peppers and carrots, stirring to warm.
- Add the rice to the vegetables and stir to coat.
- To the pan, add the white wine and stir, allowing the rice to absorb the wine and begin cooking. Just before the wine is gone, add a ladle of the reserved water to the pan (about 1⁄2C per instance) and continue to lightly stir.
- Continue cooking the rice by adding all the remain- ing water, 1⁄2C at a time, stirring often until the rice is tender and creamy, about twenty minutes total.
- Once all the water/stock has been cooked into the rice, remove from the heat and add the diced tomatoes, stirring to incorporate into the dish.
- Add the remaining 2T of butter, salt and parmesan cheese, stirring again until the butter melts and all ingredients are blended thru the dish.
- Garnish with the minced green onion tops and serve as a side dish with roasted chicken or pork.