Chicken Paillard with Cauliflower and Lemon Thyme Butter Sauce
- 1 1.25-1.5lb package organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thin if available
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 lbs), cut into bite size florets
- 8oz bag sugar snap peas
- 1/2 pint, (12-15) cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium or homemade chicken broth
- 4 – 6 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tbsp chopped for garnish
- 1/2 lemon, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Place chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet until each piece is evenly 1/2 inch thick, working with one piece at a time.
- Season each piece lightly with kosher salt and pepper, using about 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper.
- Heat large skillet over high heat, then add 2 tbsp of the olive oil to skillet and heat for 10-20 seconds.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook until golden brown on one side, 2-3 minutes. Turn chicken and cook for about 30 seconds or until cooked through. It could be another 2 minutes if chicken is thicker than 1/2 inch. Transfer to a plate and reserve the skillet.
* Don’t crowd the pan or moisture can’t evaporate and the meat will steam instead of crisp. Work in batches if space is needed. Add another tablespoon of oil if necessary, and reduce heat if skillet gets really dark.
- Remove pan from heat, letting pan cool a bit, turn down to medium heat and add chicken broth, thyme sprigs, lemon and cauliflower florets and snap peas to reserved skillet. Cover, and Cook until cauliflower is tender, 5-8 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure broth hasn’t evaporated. When cauliflower is done, add tomatoes and let cook for 1 minute to soften.
- Transfer veggies to platter using slotted spoon.
- Remove skillet from heat, add butter, and whisk to combine. Serve chicken and veggies topped with sauce and lemon slices.